Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dave Sim's blogandmail: Addendum: "IN DIALOGUE WITH GARY GROTH"



October 5, 2007

Hi Gary:

Sorry, after a month I thought it had run its course. Jeff phoned and told me that I was missing the Thursday and Friday editions last week and wondered if he could put the correspondence on there. It's a lot bigger than the usual blog entry, but I figured that was okay and certainly easier then writing two new entries and then figuring out how to get them to Jeff in time. Again, I apologize.


Can you e-mail this latest salvo to jctundis@cox.net (if you haven't already)? I'll leave it up to you as to what we do about this, but I would suggest either
Adding your latest fax to the end of the Friday post so you have the "last word" until I can get around to writing a response and we'll just move forward on that basis. Your salvo goes up immediately and mine goes up the next time I'm doing the Blog & Mail (usually every three weeks or so) OR


Tell Jeff that I said he should pull both the Thursday and Friday editions from last week from the online archive and post a notice that they weren't supposed to be posted yet and that they'll be returned to the online archive once the entire discussion has been completed.


Is it okay with you if I number your bulleted points and get Jeff to put my numbered responses after them? I think this will be a little easier for people than having to scroll back and forth between the two to figure out what points are being addressed.


Hope you get to play some more soccer tonight.

Best,

Dave
_______________________________________________________________

October 8, 2007

Dave,

In the event, I'll choose Option 1.

I wasn't quite sure why you jumped the gun and started running our correspondence; I thought maybe you thought it had indeed run its course, but I also thought you would've called or faxed me to confirm this rather than just assume it. I was also puzzled that you were dribbling it out when I made a point of stipulating that I wanted it run in its entirety — which I guess it would be, eventually, but I meant in its entirety all at once. Sigh. Well, maybe I was unclear.


One reason I wanted it released all at once and not dribbled out is because I have so many irons in the fire I was unsure how quickly I would be able to respond and I didn't want it go on forever, on­line, like some ongoing soap opera. I guess that's an irrelevant consideration at this point.


I just checked and the last letter I saw on your blog was mine. I assume you'll put both of ours up next, though it doesn't make much difference to me if there's a gap between yours and mine. At this point.


I very deliberately didn't number my points because I didn't want to lend that much importance to them, if you know what I mean. They were more or less listed randomly and I'd just as soon not give the impression that they were carefully structured. (I know that doesn't help.)

More later, I'm sure.

Gary
_______________________________________________________________

October 17, 2007

Did you ever post our last correspondence? I haven't noticed and your blog is a bit too difficult for me to navigate. You did get my last fax, right?


One of the problems with just assuming our exchange is "over" (without confirming it with the other party) is that fax transmission is not 100% reliable.

Thanks.

Gary
_______________________________________________________________

October 18 2007

Gary:

Yes, I got your last fax and mailed my fax and your fax to Jeff Tundis to scan and post so, again, you'll have The Last Word So Far until I get around to actually answering your previous fax. When that will be...?


Right now I'm in the middle of figuring out if I can actually do a bi-monthly comic and (this being the early twenty-first century) it isn't just the comic book. Having finished issue one, I'm now having to put together a website for it in blueprint form. That was supposed to take two days and took a week and a half. Next is designing the promotion package/campaign. Next week is a Blog & Mail week where I hope to get through the last of my current backlog of mail as well as telling a (hopefully) funny story about Roy and Dann Thomas and Fitzgerald biographer Matthew Bruccoli. As soon as I'm actually through all that and (after hopefully squeezing in a day trip to Toronto to have lunch with Chester) when I'm actually working on issue 2 I plan to answer your long fax as a lead-in to my reply to Asa M. Larsson's attack on the Fifteen Impossible Things.

All in good time, all in good time.

Dave